Mary Sue likes boobs, yo, don't blame THEM for DOAX3!



Feminism. Sometimes it's fighting to be in a bikini,sometimes it's fighting not to be in a bikini. 


Look, I unfollowed Mary Sue in a fit of "We'll never see eye to eye on this" months ago. And "THIS" in this case being this. I only ocassionally find out about them because I have a Google Alert on Fighting Games, and Mary Sue always keeps up with the latest on FiHahahahahaahahaha who am I kidding, they only mention them whenever they need something to pinch awhile.

You see, I'm not an unreasonable man. I don't get angry every time somebody says or does something that falls under the umbrella of what I hesitate to call "Social Justice Warrior" stuff. I hesitate to call it that because there's actual social justice out there that doesn't involve videogames and comic covers and...TV shows. I say this as an American non-white citizen without the ability to vote for the president or representation on congress based on the fact we where conquered 100 years ago that I would find it an acceptable trade if they could make the entire cast of the Power Rangers into white, blond men if I could only have that extra sway on the directions of the nation. I don't care about a Ranger "representing me" as much as some might have lead you to believe. I didn't growing up. I don't now.

But the impact of these factors is seemingly being felt. People are making moves to pander to these bases and avoid their rage, and you know what? That's fine...Sort of.

For example, Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 is not coming out in the West. And the developer has pretty much said it's because, you know, having seen that here in the West apparently women are doing all the buying and so, they KNOW the game is gonna catch that kind of heat, so it's...no dice.
THEY NEED MORE ARMOR TO FROLIC ON A BEACH!

The West has put the writing on the wall, and it's "We're being huge prudes about sex right now. " Personally, I owned DOAX 1 and it was a nice and interesting game. Yes, I did leer and oogle, but I also enjoyed the gameplay, and the scenery and just the overall chillness of the game.

It's weird, because it's not a game with any goals. You don't have to win more, or meet any criteria before it ends. You play and enjoy it, pick your partners, drop other ones, make money, and collect trinkets that you pretty much couldn't use for shit.



You're not killing anyone like in Halo and Call of Duty, or on some grand quest. You can even just kind of end the game. I loved it.


And you know who else loved it? My sisters. That's right, my sisters played DOAX. It wasn't the only game we had. But they loved themselves some DOAX. Probably not on the same way I loved it, but there was something in there for them.

So, what is Mary Sue's response to people being completely ridiculous by being angry that a game they wanted is now confined to the complicated realm of imports because of people being offended at a game so, SO obviously not meant for them? Let's break it down.

Basically, it ridiculizes people who are angry about  this, and lay claims that DOA is a stupid niche series that nobody wants anyway and even less people want the DOA Volleyball spinoff and that THAT is the real reason.

No, you're confusing Dead Or Alive with Touki Densho Angel Eyes. It's an understandable mistake. Both are Tecmo made fighting game series with a lot of focus on sexy women. However, that series died with most of the fighting game boom in the 90's. It's on PSN, if you even care.

But most people don't, so there wasn't a Touki Densho 2.

Dead or Alive is one of the few surviving series of the 3D fighting boom popularized by Tekken and Virtua Fighter. A series like that would not be able to get 5 games and 3 spinoffs if it was merely a niche product.  As for people not caring about it, I bring you this chart again.
For Fucks sake, DOA5 beat out Rise of the Tomb Raider on global sales, and that's a from a dead genre vs one of the largest current ones.

So it's not that they don't know if it'll sell. It's got an audience.  But then there's their other argument, that obviously only an idiot would believe that feminists hate sexy, bouncing breasts.
"Mary Sue: Developers always do things for the reason we say they do!"


I don't believe all feminists everywhere feel that. However, Mary Sue specifically?
English isn't my first language, but is there a positive context for "insidious"?

I know where I stand. I like me some sexy mommas, I like them to be strong characters too, I support equal pay, and I also think  you don't heat up food you aren't gonna eat. If you catch me contradicting myself on that, let me know.


Where the hell do you stand on anything, Mary Sue?


0 comments:

What are you guys watching?